Very rarely, we may have to make a decision to close the school for other reasons, and this may be during the school day. Should it be necessary to close the school during the school day an emergency contact number written down and kept safe on your child's possession is very useful.
In the event of a school closure during the day, we will endeavour to organise transport for your child if this is their normal way of getting to and from school. This may not always be possible. If you do not want your child to use emergency school transport, and you would like to make alternative arrangements in the event of a closure, please inform Mrs Whitehall in our office in writing so that your child's record can be updated.
Parents Have a Key Role
During an emergency situation, schools must act quickly in the best interests of pupils and staff. Parents can assist greatly by being prepared before an emergency. Here are a few critical things you could do:
- Make certain the school always has accurate contact information on file - if you change your phone number, please inform us.
- Provide your school with contact information for adults authorised as emergency contacts for your child as shared on the data collection sheet.
- Talk to your child about what to do and how to contact you in an emergency.
The school only has two telephone lines. If parents are phoning the school to check to see if we are open it inhibits our capability to make urgent phone calls. Therefore we would ask you to make use of the following services:
- Receive Emergency Alert text messages and emails via School Gateway – if you do not presently receive school information via text messages and/or emails but would like to do so, please contact Mrs Whitehall on 01889 590394 or alternatively email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also ensure that you inform the school should you change your mobile number and/or email address.
- School Web site: www.ryecroft.staffs.sch.uk – In the event of severe weather conditions we may be unable to inform parents of school closure via the school website as the website can only be updated from school.
- Staffordshire County Council website – www.staffordshire.gov.uk/education
- Sign up today to the Staffordshire free email update service for urgent alerts, important news and a range of information straight to your email or mobile phone - https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Customer-Alerts/Customer-Alerts.aspx